Military Camps & Forts in North Carolina
Camp at Fort Macon
Fort Macon in the Spanish American War
This Camp was organized as the assembly and training area for the Third North Carolina
(Colored) Volunteer Infantry Regiment. The Camp itself was located just outside of the Fort
and was in service from May of 1898 until September of 1898, when the regiment moved to
Camp Poland in Knoxville, Tennessee.
Camp Bryan Grimes, Raleigh
This Camp was established around April 23rd, 1898, and was named after Confederate
Major General Bryan Grimes. The Camp was organized as the Mustering in location for
the First North Carolina Volunteer Infantry Regiment. The camp was situated east of the
fairgrounds (where Camp Dan Russell was located) and was on both sides of Hillsborough
Street as far south as the railroad tracks and what is now Pullen Park. There is a state
historical marker for the camp on Hillsborough Street.
Camp Dan Russell, Raleigh
This Camp was named after North Carolina Governor Daniel L. Russell. This Camp served
as the Mustering in site for the Second North Carolina Volunteer Infantry Regiment. The
Camp was located at the fairgrounds which were then located at what is now a residential
and business district across from the North Carolina State University campus. The Raleigh
Little Theater at 301 Pogue Street now occupies part of the site.
Back to North Carolina in the Spanish-American War